Maybe a bit too personal for me to post, but it is a bit part of Kyler's life right now. So since I use the blog as a way to do our family history, I feel like he'll like looking back at this and seeing how he was able to accomplish something that was very difficult for him.
Kyler has been potty trained during the day for about 2 1/2 years. However he's never been able to wake up with a dry diaper the way Jaden did. Recently he's been very sad each morning being wet, even with a pull up. He's expressed his concern that he "will never be dry!" I didn't want this to become more of a self esteem issue so I researched different bed wetting alarms and had him help me pick a cover for it. Of course, he chose the soccer one! :) We talked about how the alarm wouldn't fix him, but help him learn to hold it at night and learn to wake up if he has to go potty. Look how excited he was when it showed up in the mail!
We've had him sleeping on his mattress on the floor in our room this week. They say that he won't hear the alarm at first, because he's such a deep sleeper, but that it's best if the parents can help to get him up right away when the alarm goes off. We've been using it for 1 week. Each night the alarm has gone off 1 or 2 times. But last night was the first night it didn't go off at all! He slept all night without an accident, and woke me up at 6:00 am needing to go to the bathroom! So this morning he got his first thumbs up sticker, lots of praise and excitement ,and a huge treat. He was beyond excited! I'm so proud of him and hope he can continue holding it and getting up when he needs to go. I'm sure I'll have an update when he no longer has to sleep with the alarm and is totally trained!




3 comments:
GO Kyler! I think this is such good information for parents dealing with the same thing. I haven't potty trained my boys yet, but am glad to have this info when the time comes.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear it might be helping. One of my friends just ordered one for her daughter. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I hope it keeps working!
How does this work? I think anything that can help kids potty train while sleeping is great! I had to help kids in my preschool class sometimes during the days, but I never had any advice for parents overnight.
Post a Comment