Thursday, January 31, 2013

Puppy

One day while the boys were playing in the backyard with some buddies, all of a sudden there was a puppy in the group!  WHAT?  I asked Jaden what happened, and he said "we were just playing football and there was a puppy in the field, (we have no backyard neighbors) and I guess he wanted to play with us."  He had squeezed through the fence.  

I took a bunch of pictures, and quickly posted them to our neighborhood security email group.  It went out to around 700 people!




But he didn't want to leave.  And no one called about him. :( We left the gate to the driveway open, but he didn't seem to want to leave.  He just watched through the french doors as we ate dinner and hung out the rest of the evening.  Christian and I felt bad since it was going to be freezing the next couple of nights, so we made him some scrambled eggs (apparently a dog delicacy) and put a blanket out for him.  In the morning he was still there.  Christian was like duh Mel, we fed him.  He's not going anywhere.
 I obviously left to take the kids to school in the morning, and Beckam and I even went to the zoo after his morning nap.  Puppy didn't wanna go anywhere.

 So when the kids got home from school we went on a walk hoping that the dog would "walk us to his home" or someone might recognize him.  Not so lucky.  But the boys LOVED walking with him.
 Basically they asked non stop if we could keep him.
 Thankfully, or unfortunately, however you want to look at it...we explained to them that we just couldn't.
 He slept on our porch one more night and the first thing Jaden wanted to do in the morning was go out and play with him.  I've never seen him eat breakfast and dress so quickly. :)
Puppy was so excited to see Jaden too!

Later the boys were playing on their skateboards and Beckam was running around trying to get the dog to chase him.  It was pretty cute.  Jaden and Kyler learned that the dog would come and "check on them" if they fell.  So that became something to do on purpose.  Silly boys.

At the beginning of the video Kyler accidently knocks Beckam over.  I thought it was so precious how the dog went and "checked on him."
Yes, they wore him out.
 We had told the boys that we wouldn't keep him through the weekend.  So we packed him in the back of the van and headed to the animal shelter.  He is chipped, so hopefully they are able to find his owner soon.  If not, I'm sure someone will fall in love and adopt him.  He was such a sweet dog.  I'm glad the boys had the opportunity to have this 2 day experience.
I'm also glad it's over! :)

3 comments:

Jennie Nelson said...

i am IN love with this post!!! I love jadens face on how happy he is, and i just LOVE the videos!! So wish you guys could have a dog,but since you can't, what a fun experience!!

Becca said...

Sounds like such a fun dog. Almost the perfect dog. How fun to be able to enjoy him for a couple of days.

oma said...

Perfect - a lot of fun for a short time and then it's over. Thank goodness for the 'chip'...I think that makes it easier to take a sweet dog to the shelter when you know there is a family that cares about him and wants him to come home.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers