Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nothing Humerus about it!

While we were at Jaden's football practice Thursday night, Kyler was playing on the playground.  About half way through practice he came toward me really crying, his arm staight at his side, being helped by an older woman.  I tried to have him sit to calm down, but he wouldn't.  I asked him where he hurt.  He pointed to his left forearm.  I asked him to squeeze my finger.  He said he couldn't.  I asked him to touch his head.  You could see him trying to lift his arm.  Then he got more mad and said it wouldn't move.  Thankfully I have some great friends there.  Sara Jane said not to worry about Jaden and she would take him to soccer practice after football. (She was his soccer coach)  And Andrea and Brooke took care of Beckam and got him in his car seat so we could just leave.  On the way home I called Kyler's pediatrician, and set up an after hours visit.  Kyler and I got home, and tried to calm down.  I iced his arm and had him watch some cartoons, and suck on some candy.  We headed to the doctor for his appointment at 7:30pm.  After checking his arm out, poking, bending, and squishing, he sent us to the hospital for X-Rays.  His elbow was pretty swollen and the doctor was pretty sure it was broken.  So he splinted it and we were on our way.
After being at the hospital for a while, we finally got to get X-Rays.  But the radiologist wasn't there to read the film.  I asked to still see them.  I wish I would have had my camera, because they were pretty sweet pictures.  I'm no expert, but I could tell that some dark lines in the white bone shouldn't be there.  We headed home to get to bed, and wait to get a call from the doctor to see what we needed to do next.
The doctor FINALLY called at 11pm! (Good thing we didn't wait around at the hospital)  No surprise to me, it was fractured, right above his elbow on the humerus bone.  Good thing Kyler doesn't have school on Friday's.  Because this is what we did most of the day.





Nothing some ice, rest, TV and candy can't fix :)
Monday the swelling was down enough to get a real cast on it.  Kyler wanted to show me his splint one last time.
Dr. Wise is pointing to the tiny tiny tiny bruise showing where it broke.
Kyler was very cautious and protective of it when the splint was off.  Good kid!

At first he picked for his cast to be RED!  But then changed his mind to BLUE.
He's pretty proud of his rock hard cast.  Hopefully it'll heal fast and a month will go by quickly.  He's already learning about things he can't do. :(
And hopefully I will some day be a "nice mom" again.  Because right now all I am hearing from Kyler is what a bad/ mean mom I am. (Not letting him ride his bike or scooter, or jump on the tramp, etc...)  Please let this month go by quickly...

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Poor Kyler. That is no fun at all. My friend from CA just posted yesterday about her 7 year old breaking his humerus on the trampoline. It must be going around. I hope it heals quickly and Kyler can find some less active hobbies to fill the time. Oh, and you're definitely not a mean mom. :)

oma said...

hmmm - fun to see pics of Kyler recuperating and getting his cast on. Soooo sorry - for all of you! - that he's gotta slow down for a bit. Good Luck Kyler - get better real soon!

Nalee said...

so sad little kyler:( wish i could sign your cast!

Tricia said...

Oh no :( I hope he heals super fast. Definitely not a mean mom!! Actually, pretty amazing. By the way, this is for your other post. I love reading Beckam's updates since he's so close to my baby's age and they are so similar! Cute kiddos!!!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Poor boy! I hope it heals quickly too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers