
It was actually very interesting to watch, but it's call was so annoying and distinct! You could be in the house and still hear it.

During this time we also had a mommy robin building a nest outside our dining room window. Very cool to see her build this in a day!
This is the daddy robin on our neighbors rooftop and the mommy nosediving down to the nest! Kind of a cool picture I think! :)
When the nest was done the mommy just sat and waited, while the daddy brought worms. Not like we know, but we called this one the daddy because it had a cool "hairdo."
So neat to see this right in our backyard.
A couple weeks later her egg hatched! I couldn't get a picture of the baby bird on the first day because his head was so wobbly it didn't stay up for very long to get a worm. But it was so fuzzy and looked huge. So I think these pictures are of it on the second day.

They grow WAY faster than kids!
Quickly, there was no room in the nest, so the parents took turns on the roof and finding worms.
And yesterday, not even a week later, we saw the baby flew to the fence. It saw another bird and tried to catch it. Went into our neighbors yard and was gone. I thought it was funny that later I saw the daddy on the fence with a worm looking around. I think he was confused as to where his baby was. He left to get food, and when he came back the baby was gone. Bye Bye Birdie.
Then yesterday we found another bird. A baby finch. This one seemed trapped in the trenches. It couldn't fly out so I made a ramp and ran it around the trench and up into the garden area. I thought this would be a nice cool, shaded place for it to figure things out. Little did I know he would have friends coming to look for him!
They would fly from the tomato cages down to the ground and call out for the baby. And as soon as he would be near them they would fly up to the fence as if to say "follow me, do it like this, it's not hard, you can do it." They would do this several times and then fly away.
I think they are bringing the baby back some food, because they keep returning. Hopefully he learns to fly soon. I feel so bad scaring him when I water the garden. So there you have it. Our backyard bird sanctuary. Kind of fun huh?




4 comments:
I think that's amazing. I don't think I've paid that much attention to birds - ever! Very cool for the boys to get to watch. And are those plants in YOUR garden?...tomatoes maybe? I'm jealous. Our backyard still looks very scary....love the pics!
That is really neat! How fun for you boys to watch too I am sure.
You got some great shots of the birds. So fun for the kids to see things like this.
i love the birds! that would be so much fun!! so cute!:)
Post a Comment