So, Wednesday night we had quite the scare! At about 1:00 in the morning our smoke alarms went off! (That'll wake you up!) After what seemed forever they turned off on their own. Christian walked all around the main floor checking rooms and closets for smoke. I checked on Jaden and the upstairs rooms. NOTHING!!! After about 2 minutes of looking around the house they went off again. So loud, and so annoying! Over the next hour they went off 4 times, turning off on their own each time. Finally, out of ideas we called the fire department who showed up with their huge firetruck (luckily no sirens) and began a search of the house. Mostly they were testing for carbon monoxide. NOTHING!!! They told us that it was probably dust in the smoke detectors and to vacuum them out. Sounds fun at 2:30am huh? So they leave and we begin our "cleaning." We don't get very far when we discover that we can't get inside the alarm. Time to pull out the owners manual and figure it out! That's what Christian did anyway. I checked on Jaden again and then went to bed. Within about 10 seconds of my head hitting the pillow they went off AGAIN!!! This was the longest one yet. Half asleep, all Jaden kept saying was "it scare me." And yet again, the loud annoying sounds stopped all on its own.
Finally at around 3:15am Christian said he thought he had it figured out. I hear him get the vacuum and a chair out. Not much time passed before I heard a loud crash and then (after me yelling "are you ok?...") "...yeah...can you bring me a shoe? I think I found the problem!"
That's right folks...a shoe! And for what? A SPIDER?! That is what this was all about? Christian had indeed figured out how to open the smoke detector and in so doing was startled by a spider trying to make a new home in there. (that was the crash I had heard...him falling from the chair being startled by this obnoxious creature!)
So, if your smoke alarms are going off randomly someday, it may be because there is a spider in one of them trying to make a new home! Hope it doesn't keep YOU up until 3:30am!
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 comments:
That's awful! I'm glad it was only a spider and not a fire. I remember once during monsoon season in Arizona, the humidity in the air made our smoke alarms go off. I guess that's another reason to be grateful for the dry Utah climate, huh?
Oh I love it! We had our fire alarms in provo going off for an entire day and I know how crazy the sound gets. Mel, I am so sad that we didn't get together before I left. I could give you a big list of my own crazy things that happened while I was trying to finish moving-(namely my phone breaking in half thank you Addy) but don't want you to think I am just making excuses. I promise I have wanted to get together. I hope when we are there visiting sometime that we can write in stone a time to finally see each other. I can't wait for the updated posts on your new baby. Love and miss you guys. Carry on! Come fire alarm and all!
hahhahahhaha... oh man that is so funny. I love it because, whenever Blake sees a bug, he doesn't say, "AH! A SPIDER!" or whatever, he always says, "Um... can you get me a shoe?" :) That is so crazy. I am sorry that you had to go through that! But hey, you have a great story from it!
wow, everything seems ten times more intense and seriously annoying in the middle of the night. So after the fire department, owners manuals and everything it all came down to a spider. By the way i love the name cameron! Are you so ready for that baby to come? I would love to get together before baby #2!
Kyler or Cameron?... I think Kyler is really cute in itself. I think Cameron is cute because it kind of matches Jaden. But, Kyler is cool because it starts with the same sound as Christian. Cameron can be a girl's name too. Kyler probably can't as easily.
:) That's my input! I like Kyler!
OH i'm so sorry but I'm laugh so hard right now, cause that sounds like something that would happen to me and erich. I'm glad that you figured everything out, the middle of the night is the worst, when all that you want is to just go to bed!!!
I don't know if you remember me or not from highschool...but It is Jenn Fager;-) I think Kyler is an adorable name and that spider story is CRAZY!!!
I read the story to Pat. It had apparently happened to him as a kid (spider in the alarm). He said it was scary too. Poor Jaden.
I laughed at this comment! I am sorry you had to endure it, but it sure makes a funny story to share!
so a spider huh? i thought you were going to say a mouse or a rat or something- that's pretty haha funny actually! that sucks you had to pay for the fire truck to come out. boy, glad i don't own a home! ;o) j/k. i wish i had a home!
kari
Post a Comment